Monday, June 22, 2015

Family Devotion - The Man Who Has Everything - John 4:10

John 4:10      Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”

            The Man who has everything – that’s who Jesus was, still is, and will always be. I often wish that I could find some positive way of letting my family and friends know this amazing truth about Jesus. They all seem to be constantly striving, under a lot of pressure, and continually trying to keep on going with no real understanding about where life is headed. They are all good people and I love them dearly. I just wish that somehow I could convince them that in Jesus they would find all that their restless hearts, minds, and souls is looking for.

            I enjoy seeing their pictures on Facebook, with all of the different and wonderful experiences they have, as well as seeing the places they visit all over this planet. Yet, I sometimes wonder, when they get back from their exciting trips and amazing events, what do they think about when they are alone with their thoughts? What are their hopes and dreams? What do they ponder and wonder about their own existence? Do they have any understanding of their mortality? What beliefs do they have about life after their own inevitable deaths?

            In today’s passage, Jesus encounters a Samaritan woman who has no earthly idea about who He is, what power He possesses, or how He can significantly change her life. She is surprised by His presence and even more amazed at His asking of her for some water. She knows that Jesus is Jewish, so she is startled that He is having a conversation with someone that His race was known to vehemently despise.

            At one point in the conversation, Jesus relates to her about what He can actually do for her. He could refresh her weary soul with His power. As Jesus says, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”

            I hope and pray that all of my loved ones, my family and friends, will one day realize, recognize, and receive all that Jesus – the Man Who has everything – can actually give them. It will be wonderful day for them, and a great blessing to me.

Questions for personal reflection

Which of my loved ones do I wish that Jesus would become their personal Savior? Am I willing to continually pray for this to occur?

Prayer:          Lord Jesus, thank You for saving me and for Your wonderful love being continually present in my life. Please help my loved ones open their own hearts and minds to Your presence, so that they may also experience the wonderful joy of truly, personally, and eternally knowing You. In Your Holy Name, I pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. If you would like to ask questions or make comments about today’s message, please send him an email to Traqair@aol.com.


Today’s image is one of John’s latest sunflower drawings called “Just Around the Corner.” If you would like to view a larger image, please click on this link: Sunflower.

No comments: